Tuesday, February 8, 2011

from the Chamber series

These are digital photo images from a series I have thought of as Chamber. I've been photographing this area in Lambertville, NJ, in daylight and at night, through the seasons, over several years. I never come away without seeing something new, something surprising, both during the time I spend there shooting, and when I finally get to look at the images on my computer.

Shot underneath a bridge and capturing a spill-over designed to carry water from the Delaware & Raritan Canal underneath the Canal into the Delaware River. The word Chamber suggested itself to me almost immediately, with its sense of an enclosed space beyond the effluence.

If the water is low enough, I can get close to the water falling over the spill-over. During late summer, I have to get brave and push through weeds that grow way over my head in height and are host to way too many spiderwebs and cobwebs, not to mention whatever flying insects are hanging around. On a muggy summer evening I will often come away from spending time there damp with mist from the spray and from the humidity. Because of the mist, the air thick with humidity and distinctive river scent that disappears during the winter months, summer nights are my favorite time to be there. 































23 comments:

James oliver said...

Looks awesome, Pam. You are cool and I like what you do.

Deborah Barlow said...

Pam these are so hauntingly beautiful, so painterly. You have found another magic hand.

michelle marcuse said...

Goooood work good shot!

Anonymous said...

I've been to Lambertville many times, though not for over 20 years! I lived in the Gap for a semester in college too. The light is beautiful and your images are definitely most painterly. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Natale said...

Very beautiful, Pam, and very evocative. They are mysterious and dark. They make me want to see behind the curtain of water into the chamber.

Diane McGregor said...

Pam, these are gorgeous works. Congratulations!

Joanne Mattera said...

Not just painterly--painterly like like *your* paintings and monoprints. Your vision transcends your mediums.

Ian Foster said...

Wonderful work, thank you for sharing.

davidtmiller said...

Wow, Pam! These are absolutely beautiful. What a nice way to begin my day.

Cora said...

Great series, Pam! If ice and water had babies this would be their litter. Of course we know better- you are the mom! Painterly indeed! I am left wishing I'd seen them before reading the explanation...

Tamar said...

These images are stunning! They have a quiet intensity that keeps me looking. Bravo!

david weir art said...

It's a good Marriage between your art and photos,can see your in a good space in your mind.
Love your work.

pam farrell said...

Thank you all, for your comments. I find it most encouraging to read your responses to the work.

Tim McFarlane said...

These are beautiful, Pam!

Steve Covello said...

Wow, really beautiful Pam

Mink said...

sorry the previous comment is from me my husband Steve was signed in on my computer

Michele Fraichard said...

wonderful..I looked at the photos before reading and thought they were either paintings or chalk drawings. On a couple, I imagined looking through a gauzy curtain in a bed chamber..very intriguing indeed.

pam said...

Again, I so appreciate all your comments. I'd say that these photos have achieved the painterly sensibility that I have been working toward, and it's a series I will continue with.

Jacqui Dodds said...

Love these photos - there is a great energy about them. I have tried to photograph waterfalls before but nothing has turned out as good as yours!

Frank Zweegers said...

You couldn't tell it is water on the first 3 pictures, I like them most :)

Leovi said...

Excellent play of light, shadow and texture to the water.

busby said...

The correlation between your painting and photography is just plain entrancing. Great work, it has taken me 2 years to finally blog ya. I have no excuses I'm in the Yukon. Plus I found my account name. best

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

You'll getta produce tonzza art
in Seventh-Heaven someday, dear.
Nevertheless...
See our blogs -IF- you wanna grow-up.
Literally.
I suspect few will taken in the Rapture.
Why?
Precisely cuzz they found Almighty God
not worldly enough.
Make Your Choice -SAW